Domainmonster.com Industry News
.INFO Domains Surpasses 4 Million Registrations
Global provider of Internet domain name registry services, Afilias, has released information that the .INFO generic top-level domain has reached over 4 million domain names.
Roland LaPlante, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for Afilias offered, "Afilias has built the most successful brand of the new top-level domains in .INFO and has provided an attractive and popular alternative to .com and other generic TLDs.
.INFO continues to be a web address that individuals and businesses choose to showcase their information on the internet. It is gaining popularity worldwide, increasing overall sales volume and even establishing itself as an emerging domain in the aftermarket and pay-per-click (PPC) markets."
To support this milestone, Afilias has issued a 4 Million Milestone analysis report that details updated insight on the .INFO domain. Key highlights include:
- North America is the top market for .INFO Domain Name sales (51 percent) with Europe in second place (38 percent).
- The US is the top country for .INFO registrations (48 percent) followed by Germany (11 percent).
- .INFO is now available for sale through 183 registrars, or domain name retailers, worldwide, which represent the vast majority of the domain business.
- 74 percent of .INFO sites are active, including over 1 million dedicated sites.
- The highest aftermarket sale on record for .INFO was NewYork.info which sold for over US$46,000 in September 2006. Both the number and value and the value of .INFO's in the aftermarket are growing.
According to the company, .INFO is now the #6 largest domain on the Internet, and has enabled millions of registrants to get their preferred name in a domain that enjoys broad acceptance on a global scale.
.INFO was the first generic, unrestricted TLD to be launched since .com. Domain Registrations in .INFO first became available in 2001. Since then, .INFO has grown to become the sixth largest TLD in the world with over 4 million registrations. 74 percent of .INFO registrations are being used on the Web either for a wide variety of purposes including dedicated sites, businesses, blogs, etc. .INFO currently contains over two million active sites and over 1 million dedicated Web sites. .INFO is also available in nine Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) scripts including German (DE), Polish (PL), Swedish (SV), Danish (DA), Hungarian (HU), Icelandic (IS), Latvian (LV), Lithuanian (LT), and Korean (KO).